Cyprus Union of Shipowners constitutes the major representative organization of the international shipping community with vessels under the Cyprus Flag. Over the years, the Cyprus Union of Shipowners has managed to register under its membership the vast majority of the Cyprus Flag ships. Primarily; CUS visions Cyprus Merchant shipping with a completed and genuine infrastructure
The Shipowners united; under the Cyprus Union of Shipowners comprise a strong voice representing the interest of its members in Cyprus, Greece and in the European Union as well as internationally.The Cyprus Union of Shipowners focuses on:
- Being Cyprus Ambassador of Shipping both nationally and internationally.
- Representing its members before all Trade Unions as well as the I.T.F.
- Signing private Bilateral Labor Agreements with local Labor Unions in coordination and with the approval of the Cypriot Ministry aiming to providing its members with reduced and highly competitive Seafarers salary pay-scales.
- Promoting a competitive and effective Cyprus Maritime Transportation Industry. CUS supports a national policy conducive to the development and maintenance of the Cyprus flag vessels, in an effort to foster the growth and quality of a Cyprus flag merchant fleet.
- CUS maintains a close cooperation with the Union of Greek Shipowners so that both Associations to rich their common goals and aspirations, in line with the historic bilateral agreement signed between the Cypriot Minister of Communications and Works and the Greek Minister of Mercantile Marine, the cornerstone of which was laid on 1st July 2003, earmarking a common Mercantile Marine Policy and Strategy.
- Maintains close relations with international Security Bodies i.e. MARLU (NATO Unit) that deal with vital issues like Piracy and provide its members with useful contacts and prompt information.
- CUS monitors government legislative and regulatory actions, initiatives by various international marine organizations, political trends and public policy relating to navigation, safety and to the Cyprus shipping environment. In addition, it conducts strategic communications and public relations campaigns.