The Cyprus Union of Shipowners is the major representative organization of the international shipping community with vessels under the Cyprus Flag. Over the years, the Cyprus Union of Shipowners has managed to register under its membership the vast majority of the Cyprus Flag ships.
The Cyprus Union of Shipowners provides, in all shipping related matters, a strong voice and represents the interest of its members in Cyprus, Greece, U.K. and other European countries.
The Cyprus Union of Shipowners focuses on:
- Being the Cyprus Ambassador of Shipping both nationally and internationally.
- Representing its members before all Trade Unions as well as the International Tradeworkers Federation (I.T.F).
- Signing private Bilateral Labour Agreements with local Labour Unions in coordination and with the approval of the appropriate Cypriot Ministry with an aim to provide its members with highly competitive Seafarers pay-scales.
- The CUS supports a national policy conducive to the development and maintenance of Cyprus flag vessels, in an effort to foster the growth and quality of a Cyprus flag merchant fleet.
- CUS participates to IMO Technical Committees, having a permanent representative within the Cypriot delegation acting as the Governments' consultant.
- Maintaining close relations with international Security Bodies i.e. MARLU (NATO Unit) that deal with vital issues such as Piracy and provide their members with useful contacts and prompt information.
- Monitoring government legislative and regulatory actions, initiatives by various international marine organizations, political trends and public policy relating to navigation, safety and to the Cyprus shipping environment. In addition, it conducts strategic communications and public relations campaigns.