The Cyprus Union of Shipowners is the major representative organization of the international shipping community with vessels under the Cyprus Flag. Over the years, the Cyprus Union of Shipowners has managed to register under its membership the vast majority of the Cyprus Flag ships.
The Cyprus Union of Shipowners provides, in all shipping related matters, a strong voice and represents the interest of its members in Cyprus, Greece, U.K., and other European countries.
The Cyprus Union of Shipowners focuses on:
- Being Cyprus Ambassador of Shipping both nationally and internationally.
- Representing its members before all Trade Unions as well as the International Tradeworkers Federation (I.T.F.).
- Signing private Bilateral Labor Agreements with local Labor Unions in coordination and with the approval of the Cypriot Ministry with an aim to provide its members with highly competitive Seafarers pay-scales.
- Promoting a competitive and effective Cyprus Maritime Transportation Industry. CUS supports a national policy conducive to the development and maintenance of Cyprus flag vessels, in an effort to foster the growth and quality of a Cyprus flag merchant fleet.
- Maintaining a close cooperation with the Union of Greek Shipowners so that both Associations may achieve their common goals and aspirations, in line with the historic bilateral agreement signed between the Cypriot Minister of Communications and Works and the Greek Minister of Mercantile Marine, the cornerstone of which was laid on 1st July 2003, earmarking a common Mercantile Marine Policy and Strategy.
- Maintaining close relations with international Security Bodies i.e. MARLU (NATO Unit) that deal with vital issues such as Piracy and provide their members with useful contacts and prompt information.
- Monitoring government legislative and regulatory actions, initiatives by various international marine organizations, political trends and public policy relating to navigation, safety and to the Cyprus shipping environment. In addition, it conducts strategic communications and public relations campaigns.